Video: Fitness After Fifty #12, Low Impact Aerobics

November 13, 2012 |

This low impact aerobics practice segment is a fun way to warm up (and wake-up!) the mind and body. It’s great to do before more vigorous exercise or if you’ve been sitting for awhile and your body needs to MOVE! Even short periods of exercise can boost the metabolism and support heart and brain health.  If you have limited mobility then you can modify and follow along while sitting in an armless chair. (This episode is a bit longer than the usual 5 minutes because it includes an encore “performance” for those who want to go through the routine a 2nd time.)

Note: If coordinating your arms and legs is challenging for you, then this routine may take a few practice rounds to master. Don’t frustrate yourself if you don’t get it right away. Just smile and keep moving! For the brain benefits, you only need to attempt it; You don’t have to perfect it. Oh, and if you follow along with the video, I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below.

How did you do?  Was your body coordinating well or did you struggle with the routine? Either way, I hope you let yourself have fun with this mind/body fitness experience! Here’s to your health!

Comments

14 Responses to “Video: Fitness After Fifty #12, Low Impact Aerobics”

1. Bobbi says:

I did it the first time through with just legs…otherwise my head started spinning. But I know I’ll get iteventually. I love how you don’t let us get lazy Jeanette. 🙂

yes, my class members were challenged by this at first too. Practice practice practice and then it becomes a cinch! Thanks for the comment Bobbi.

2. Elizabeth says:

I’m so proud of myself for figuring this one out on the first try. I’m getting better! I’ll come back to it tomorrow and do it again. Fun one. Thank you Jeanette

3. Shirley McClung says:

Jeanette, you are the continuing teacher of my way to a life of health. I use your 70 min. DVD every other day. I think it is #4. Every morning I do a “Jeanette routine” that gets me going with no aches or pains and lots of energy. I always thank you before and after my exercises for being my wonderful teacher who has shown me the way to good health. I can even keep up with my two year old grand daughter because of what you have and continue to teach me. I am blessed that I took your class.
    With my love and gratitude, Shirley

Dearest Shirley,
      How wonderful to hear from you during this holiday season. I’m really moved by what you’ve written. Thank you. It makes my heart so very happy to know that my exercise dvds are helping you stay active at home. What’s so excellent is that you continue to make healthy lifestyle choices! You are a model for aging well. And even though you live so far away now, you will continue to be an inspiration to me. I miss you very much, and am grateful for all the years that we were able to exercise together. It seems that Southern CA has become a happy home for you. How wonderful that you are able to spend such quality time with your grandchildren. Thank you for staying in touch with me. I send you best wishes for the new year and beyond. Blessings with love, Jeanette ♥♥♥

4. Bonnie says:

Sad that I have moved so far away that I can’t attend your live classes anymore. At least I get a little reminder when you send out these short exercise videos. Love your newsletter. I was in Novato today visiting friends so I stopped by the Center. I just missed you! Sending my wishes for happy holidays Miss you.

Wow, I’m really appreciating how my newsletter is helping me to stay in touch with wonderful past students like you Bonnie. Glad you like my newsletter. I’m bummed that I missed you today at the Center. Next time you’re in town, let me know so we can make sure and connect. happy holidays!

5. Clare says:

I’m thinking of trying your low impact class next year. I like these kinds of coodination routines and I like the one you cue the upcoming steps. Good one!

Clare I think that you would do well in my low impact class. Thanks for the positive feedback. See ya next year!

6. Donna says:

This routine works well while sitting in the chair so I was able to keep up with you janette.

So glad that you were able to tweek it for yourself Donna so that it is manageable. This is just what I was hoping my chair class students would do.

7. SAMMY says:

I love these short videos you send us Jeanette. They are fun and challenging. You make exercise manageable without treating us seniors like babies. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

“He that takes medicine and neglects diet, wastes the skill of the physician.” ~ Chinese Proverb

“My recent bone density test was great as a result of Jeanette's strength training class. I feel better, and it helps my whole being. I have exercised all my life and Jeanette is the best!"

--Connie Fischer, age 74, Novato, CA