Tips on Choosing the Right Canned Tuna

June 28, 2013 |

Canned tuna can be a great source of protein and omega-3 fats, and there are some delicious ways of preparing it. However, many of the canned tunas you find on supermarket shelves have unhealthy ingredients in them, so read the labels to become aware of what you are actually eating. For best nutrition, buy canned tuna that consists of tuna only, or tuna and water with our without salt. (Sea salt is best in my opinion, if you prefer salt tuna for healthy recipesadded.) And I don’t recommend buying tuna that is packed in oil. It’s counterproductive. Oil mixes with oil so the natural omega-3 rich oils from the fish mix with the packing oil and when you drain the tuna, a lot of the important omega-3s go down the drain!

Regarding mercury content, larger types of tuna, like bluefish, yellowfin, bluefin and albacore, have higher mercury level than the smaller type, as larger fish accumulate more contaminants in their bodies than the smaller ones. World Wildlife Fund reveals that of all the species of tuna that are commonly consumed, skipjack has the lowest mercury content, only ⅓ of the mercury found in the larger tuna.

Lastly, if we really want to be conscious consumers then we need to also become aware of the catching methods that the fisheries are using. Pole and troll tuna fishing is rated as the best catch method for tuna by many of the environmental agencies. If the label doesn’t say how the tuna was caught, then it’s safe to assume that it was caught in the purse seine nets. Unfortunately, this catch method often results in the bycatch of other species.

Youthful Hearts Health

Fortunately, there are more retailers now bringing ocean friendly products to their shelves and asking their suppliers to use ocean friendly fishing methods. So it is much easier these days to find lower-mercury canned tuna, using smaller fish sustainably caught. My current favorite brand is Wild Planet. Check out their website to read more about high omega 3 content, low mercury, sustainability and fishing methods. Also, if you have a favorite quality brand, let us know about it by leaving a comment below.

Comments

6 Responses to “Tips on Choosing the Right Canned Tuna”

1. Donna H. says:

Hey Janette. WHat’s up? Great to get your newlsetter and stay in touch this way. Very interesting stuff. I will send you one of my favorite tuna recipes. Thanks for the reminder for buying ocean friendly products. I’m all for that.

2. Robert S. says:

I buy the Whole Foods brand. It’s pretty tasty and they use pole and troll tuna fishing. Great article. Thanks for your interesting newsletter too Jeanette.

3. Belinda says:

I immediately went to my cupboard and checked out the ingredients in my canned tuna. I was shocked. I hate to admit that I hadn’t payed attention to it before. Thanks for the wake up call.

4. Tami W. says:

I’ll try that brand Jeanette. I don’t trust many canned foods anymore, but I do like to have good tuna on hand for quick meals. Love the light recipe you gave in the newsletter too.

5. Bobette H. says:

Ordered tuna thru Amazon. Thanks. Bobette.

Hi Bobette. Well now that’s a surprise. I wasn’t expecting anyone to actually order the tuna I recommended. Awesome. Thanks for supporting the conservation of wild marine ecosystems. And plus, you’re really going to love that tuna! It’s so fresh and tasty!

“If we’re not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn’t settle for junk food.” ~ Pioneer of the Olympic sport of triathlon, Sally Edwards

"I have attended Jeanette Logan's fitness class for several years, and keep going back.  Going to her classes is one of the best things I can do for myself."

--Bill Pryor, age 68, San Rafael, CA

• Live-Streaming Zoom Classes Current Schedule

Monday:

9:15am - 10am, Fit and Fun, Low Impact Aerobics + more

10:30am - 11:15am, Still Going Strong, Strength & Stretch + more

12:45pm - 1:15pm Line Dancing (we'll do 2 or 3 beginner dances.)

Thursday:

9:15am - 10am, Fit and Fun, Low Impact Aerobics + more

10:30am - 11:15am, Still Going Strong, Strength & Stretch + more

12:45pm - 1:30pm, Chair Exercise, light cardio, strength & stretch

When the Pandemic is over, and we're allowed to gather in-person again, then we'll resume the following classes and times.
  • In-Person Classes, When Open Again: