When Exercise Is Fun, We WANT To Do It! Here’s Proof.

March 30, 2012 |

This post includes a video of a set of stairs, adjacent to a moving escalator next to it …. both of which lead to the same spot on the floor of the upper level. At first no one took the stairs, almost 97% of the people took the escalator. Okay. I think that could be a normal expected result.

Then a group of engineers got together, and decided they wanted to change the percentage around.

Watch this cool video to notice what these scientists did. Clever. And now they have reversed the percentages, as a whopping 66% more people take the stairs, than ride the escalator.  This study of exercise psychology is amazing!

Find ways to make life more fun! What are some fun ways to exercise that you enjoy?

Comments

8 Responses to “When Exercise Is Fun, We WANT To Do It! Here’s Proof.”

1. Beverly Jensen says:

That would get me on the stairs!

Me too…I’d probably run and up and down a few times just to hear the music!

2. Bobbi E. says:

This does prove the point very well. I’m more motivated to move when I enjoy what I’m doing.

Absolutely! I loved this colorful creative way of demonstrating how drawn we all are to having a good time, even if we have to climb a few stairs to do it!

3. Chris Crosse says:

Like being a kid again. 🙂

I’m all for that! Youthful Hearts is all about feeling good and having fun while getting fit!

4. Terry says:

Wonderful experiment. I would have wanted to take the stairs too if they made music when I stepped on them!

I agree…I want stairs like that to play on too! Thanks for visiting my blog Terry. Hope to hear from you again sometime.

“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”  ~Baba Ram Dass

"I've been in Jeanette's class for over seven years, and it has changed my life. I feel much better (especially my back), and I have made many wonderful new friends."

--Marge Wrench, age 81, Novato, CA