Crock Pot Lentil Soup: Easy Healthy Meal

December 22, 2011 |

Lentils, my favorite legume, may be small but they pack a mighty nutritional punch! Lentils are high in protein and fiber and low in fat, and they provide folic acid and iron. Lentils have a mild, earthy flavor and readily absorb a variety of wonderful flavors from other foods and seasonings. This lentil soup is not only healthy but very hearty. It’ll give you energy without weighing you down. Enjoy this traditional and warming dish.

senior recipes: lentil soupIngredients:
3 carrots, chopped
3 ribs of celery chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
4-8 cups of water or vegetable broth (Add more liquid if you want a thinner soup. I like my soup thick, so I only use 4 cups)
2 cups lentils, rinsed
1 tsp dried thyme

Directions:
Put all of these ingredients in your crock pot. Set it on low if you are leaving it all day, high if you are starting it around lunchtime.

About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, add:
1½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped

Variations: You can add  fresh tomatoes or one 14½ ounce can of diced tomatoes at the beginning of cooking if you like. Cumin and olive oil are also good additions. I add all of these additional ingredients. Yum yum!

Thank you Mary Sperling for this delicious recipe.

Comments

7 Responses to “Crock Pot Lentil Soup: Easy Healthy Meal”

1. It has 0 grams of total fat, 420 mg’s of sodium, 1 grams of total carbs and less than 1 gram of protein in it. Don’t forget Crockpot’s (slow cookers) are a great way to save money; My Crockpot (slow cooker) black beans are the easiest to make, taste great and are super inexpensive and healthy. On the other hand, high setting will make it cook faster, which is for only 3 to 4 hours.

2. Stephany Burton says:

Hi Jeanette, Thanks again for your info. We love soup and will try your recipe for sure. Love Stephany

Hello Stephany, Good to hear from you. I bet you have a lot of great soup recipes! Let me know if you like this one. Love back to you, Jeanette

3. Olivia says:

Just what I need for the wintertime! Sounds delicious.

4. Donna H. says:

Thanks for this great recipe. I printed it and made it yesterday and it came out so good. I’ll make this again I liked it so much.

5. Anne says:

Hello Jeanette!

Love your messages – LOVE my Thursday class – would love the Lentil Soup recipe, however, I do not have a crock pot also, I do not seem to be able to download things – I may look “bright” but its a facade!
    xxoo
    Anne

Hi Anne,
      No problem. I’ll bring in a copy of this recipe to class. You can do a stovetop version! It’s so yummy. I make this soup often during the winter time. No worries about the computer stuff! It really does get easier with practice.

“If we do not know what wind we are steering for, no wind is favorable.”  ~Seneca

"I've been in Jeanette's class for over seven years, and it has changed my life. I feel much better (especially my back), and I have made many wonderful new friends."

--Marge Wrench, age 81, Novato, CA