Five Minutes of Fitness After Fifty, Video Episode #2

February 8, 2011 |

Falling is a major cause of injury to seniors. When we were younger, our brain, muscles, nerves, ears and eyes worked really well together to keep us upright and steady on our feet. However, as we age our equilibrium and balance decline, mostly due to reduced physical activity. We need to consciously work our balance skills to keep them functioning well for us. The good news is that with ongoing practice, you can dramatically improve your balance. So let’s get moving! Follow along with me in this 5 minute video for a fantastic balance workout, made especially for baby boomers and seniors

If the video workout below is too hard for you then click here to view my specialized SEATED balance video, for those with very limited mobility.

Was this video useful for you? I would love to hear your feedback! For my next video, I was thinking of focusing on leg strength. Would you like that? Or do you have any requests? Please leave comments below.

Comments

23 Responses to “Five Minutes of Fitness After Fifty, Video Episode #2”

1. Virginia Dolar says:

Dear Jeanette:
    As you know, I’ve been “with you” ever since you started Fit and Fun.  So glad  you’re considering a focus on legs since I’m having difficulty doing
    some of your exercises (especially today–I could not do things I formerly did with no problem!)
       I sometimes awake at night with painful leg cramps, so definitely avoid attempting anything which might cause me to scream in class.  I have found that quinine water w/prescription Ropinirole at bedtime is helpful, but if there is any special exercise which would also help, I’d like to know
     it. My 82nd birthday is coming right up, but I plan to be with you so long as I’m upright! love, Virginia

Hi Virginia…Sorry about your night time cramps. Glad that you have a remedy that is bringing you some relief. Just wondering, Have you tried massaging and stretching your muscles before going to bed? Good to know that you’re interested in a leg strength segment. I’ll be working on that one in mid April most likely. 🙂

I’ve been so blessed to have you attending my class for so long. Thank you for that! I’ve gotten quite used to having you in the front row. And I have no doubt that you’ll be kicking up your heels for many years to come! Happy birthday to you. 82? You’re amazing!

• Hi Jeanette:
        So glad I persevered with getting to class on Thursday, a definite improvement over Tues. in terms of my being able to do ALMOST
        everything you were doing. And I felt so well last nite that I actually forgot the Ropiniirole and tonic water! Slept like the proverbial baby.

Due to vision problems, I always sat in the front row in high school to see the blackboard. One of my teachers wrote in my yearbook,
        “Always keep a front seat in life” – I have found that to be excellent advice!

2. Jean McKechnie says:

Hi Jeanette: Finally opened up the balance video. Great. My balance certainly isn’t what it used to be – getting old ain’t for sissies. I did it twice and really felt it will help if I try to do it several times each day!! Would love to have other videos so can fill in the days we don’t have your great class at the center.
    See you tomorrow.

Hi Jean, Glad you got around to doing the mini balance workout. It’s wonderful to hear that you want some stuff to do at home in between our classes. Your enthusiasm is refreshing! I’ll be putting up another 5 minute video sometime in April. I’ll see you tomorrow.
      (If you’re really gung ho and want more to do at home than just the 5 minutes sessions, I’ve got a couple of fun 1-hour dvd workouts. Let me know if you’re interested in trying one.) 🙂

3. Edith Piltch says:

Dear Jeanette,
    Thank you for your most informative newsletter as well as for the very helpful 5 minute videos. I really appreciate having these short exercises which I can repeat at any time. I’m still getting physical therapy for a fall so your balance excercises are most helpful. Hoping that sometime soon I will be finished with all my physical misshaps.
    Love,
    Edith

Hi Edith,
      I’m so thrilled to hear from you. I think about you all the time. I’m glad that you are getting physical therapy…there is nothing like one-on-one support. I’m happy to read that you’re using my little videos. That was my hope…especially for those who are not able to attend my live classes. I send you lots of love and big hugs.
      Be well,
      Jeanette

4. Marilyn says:

Hi Jeanette: I just did your balance video and I wobbled more on one side than the other; guess you could say I’m lopsided! 🙂
    As to future videos, I’d LOVE to see more Brain work. Today in class I was doing the feet work okay, then you had to go and add the arms–darn–spoiled my perfect performance, ha ha! I was going to practice that exercise when I got home, but forgot exactly what all you had us doing! See, just goes to show I need more brain exercise. Doing the Sudoku puzzles doesn’t cut it when it comes to my coordination!
    Marilyn

Hey there Marilyn,
      Thanks for posting such a great comment. As they say in Texas, you’re a hoot! I’m glad to know that you’re practicing at home–GOOD FOR YOU. Being lopsided is very common—maybe just give you’re weaker side a bit more training to compensate. WOW–you want more brain exercise? Yippie! I love doing it, but I know it’s not everyone’s favorite part of my class. 🙂 I will most certainly put your request on my list; We can ALL use more support for better brain health. I’m most likely going to address strength and flexibility in the next two video, but perhaps I’ll do a brief brain teaser as part of the warm up. Once I have at least one video for each major fitness component then I’ll do more brain stuff. Thanks again for your feedback– your participation in my class and blog is very gratifying to me.

5. Gloria Maniscalco says:

Enjoyed your new website. After hearing the testimonials from some of the
    girls, I feel as if I am the oldest in the class….at 83…..But your class has
    kept me going and is keeping me from getting stiff….Thanks

Thanks so much, Gloria. I’m certain that your lightheartedness and great sense of humor are helping to keep you going as well! It is a pleasure having you in my class.
      All the best to you!

6. Margie says:

What a good workout! It is both challenging and satisfying. Thank you!

Hi Margie,
      I’m glad you stopped by and gave my balance video a whirl. I love imagining you guys doing these little video sessions at home. Every bit really does help. Especially if done consistently over time.

I hope that you were able to resolve the issue with the computer “cookies.” If you discover that there’s something that I can do on my end to help it work better, please let me know. Thanks!

7. Toni Piazza says:

Hi Jeanette: I thoroughly enjoy the class and you. Kindly excuse me as I’m sure it seems like “I’ve left the building” at times. However it’s my way of trying to think away the pain. Don’t worry, I take very good care of myself and don’t do anything exercise that hurts.
    I was reading about a Zomba class for us oldies, I think it’s Zomba but I may be having a “mental pause”. See you Tuesday.
    Toni

Hi Toni,
      Great to hear from you! I appreciate that you are mindful of your body. And I LOVE having you and your friend Pam in my class. You are both spunky ones and it is a joy to exercise with you.
      See you soon.
      Jeanette

8. Shirlee Wood says:

Good to see you and hear your sweet voice!!
    Every thing you do is helpful!!
    Tomorrow,only a day away….

Hi Shirlee,
      Yay! It was so wonderful to see you in class again today. You are a delightful spirit with a zest for life. I’m so glad that you came back!

9. Beverly Jensen says:

Beverly J again. I found the seated video!

Hey Beverly, I’m glad you found the video. It was nice chatting with you on the phone today. Hope to see you and Bob next week.

10. Beverly Jensen says:

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks for Newsletter #2 and the exercise video. How do I access the sitting down video for Bob?
    I would like a stretching video.

Love, Beverly

Good suggestion, Beverly, about the stretching video. I will put that on my list for sure. If not for the next video, then I’ll do it for the one after that. We can all use more stretching!

11. Val says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I want better balance so I’m so happy to have this bit to practice at home. And, yes, I like the idea of a leg strength focus next time. Thanks so much Jeanette.

Hey there Val. I’m so happy to hear that you’re planning on using this little video at home. Thanks for letting me know. Here’s to better balance in life, in all areas!

“Each of us is meant to have a character all our own, to be what no other can exactly be, and do what no other can exactly do.”  ~William Channing

“After about two months of attending Jeanette's class, my migraine frequency has decreased significantly and my blood pressure has dropped 15 points."

--Marilyn Lawlor, age 73, San Anselmo