Five Minutes of Fitness After Fifty Video #1

December 9, 2010 |

This is a fun 5-minute health boost, especially useful if you’ve been sitting for a long period of time. Follow along with me to help improve your brain fitness with thisΒ coordination exercise. It’s ideal for baby boomers and seniors who want a little zap of energy added to their day! It may be done standing or sitting, depending on your balance. Get your blood flowing and your mind turned on!

Click on the arrow to play.

What did you think of my first episode? Did you following along with me?Β  How did it go for you? Are you interested in receiving future episodes? Let me know your feedback by leaving a comment below. I’ll greatly appreciate it. (My next video episode will help with improving balance!)

Comments

22 Responses to “Five Minutes of Fitness After Fifty Video #1”

1. Margaret Keith says:

Hi Jeanette, Since I ceased going to your wonderful classes I have had a rotator cuff repair ( which did not work) and spacers put in between my L3 and L 4 vertebrae and my L5, S1 cleaned to decompress my nerve. I now have a problem with my balance and require a cane to walk. I really appreciated your video and look forward to any others you may send. Have a healthy and wonderful year and keep up the great exercises. Love, Margaret

Hello Margaret! Thanks for reconnecting with me…it has been awhile. You sure have been through a lot lately–hopefully your pain is better managed now. I’m glad that my little video gave you something to do at home. My next video will be focused on balance training and I’ll be sending that out in my next newsletter…probably early February. I wanted to get it out sooner, but I’ve been too busy lately. Did you know that I have a new chair aerobics class for those who are challenged by physical limitations? It’s very low key and the entire class is done seated in a chair. Would this work for you? I sure would love to be able to support you in feeling better! Let me know if you have any questions about it. Thanks for the good wishes. Take care.

2. Barbara Bruhn says:

Hi Jeanette, Thanks for the brief but effective video workout, which was helpful after caring for my granddaughter today and having to skip my usual AM exercises…I like to challenge myself with the “brain fitness” movements you suggest and was pleased to be able to do the ones in this video! I look forward to resuming Fit and Fun next week. Hope you enjoyed this holiday time and will be blessed abundantly in the New Year. With gratitude, Barbara

Hey there Barbara, What a nice surprise to hear from you. Thank you for the warm wishes. Congrats for mastering the coordination exercise…I’m glad you enjoyed it. Every bit of exercise helps for sure! I’m so looking forward to getting back into our exercise groove. I’ll see you very soon. All the best to you.

3. Shirlee Wood says:

Almost.. Almost like being with you!
    It got the juices flowing!!!
    Shirlee

Hi Shirlee,
      Ya-hoo…you left a comment! Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that you did the video and that you got a little zap out of it. πŸ™‚ See you next year sometime.

4. Beverly Jensen says:

I just did your 5 min. video standing. It was a good little exercise to get me going this late afternoon. It began easily, but when you did the arms the same while the legs were doing 2 on this side and then 2 on that side. It was a challenge even after 11 or more years with you. I can visualise Bob and I doing these short exercises together: he sitting, me standing. And, we’ll be sure to laugh at ourselves!

Beverly

Hi Beverly, Thanks for stopping by and giving my first online video a tryout. I especially appreciate you sharing the details of what you experienced while doing it. With a little practice here and there, you’ll master that exercise…just like you do the ones in class! I hope that you two do laugh at yourselves…that’ll be just as beneficial as the exercise itself. Happy 2011!

5. Mary says:

Jeanette, Loved the video. I am looking forward to more videos. A great way to start the day with a five minute brain teaser………….it is really energizing.

Hi Mary,
      What a treat hearing from YOU! I was absolutely delighted that you left a comment. It is really joyful for me to know that you not only followed along with the video, but that you’re also looking forward to more. Thank you! Hope you’re staying warm in your part of the world. πŸ™‚

6. Jeanette says:

Well if it isn’t Lynelle! It’s always a pleasure hearing from you. I’m thoroughly entertained by the imagery you have evoked with your comment. And, I’m so glad to hear that you’re looking forward to my next video. Especially since, in that one, we’ll be standing on our heads while whistling and crocheting. πŸ™‚ Thanks for your positive feedback and your active participation!

7. Lynelle says:

Hi Jeanette! Whoever said it was easy to walk, talk, and chew bubblegum at the same time was born coordinated. Your exercise tips bring coordination and brain teasing, something to chew on. Thanks for sharing with us :)Looking forward to the next challenge.

8. Jane Gill says:

Your newsletter makes email worthwhile! What a pleasant surprise to find it today just when I needed to get off my “duff” and enjoy your 5 minute workout. The heck with more computer time, I’m going out for a walk. See you Friday.

Jane

Hey there Jane,
      I’m delighted that my little video inspired you to get off your “duff!”(What a respectful word choice. I may have to use that in class sometime.) πŸ™‚ I have a feeling that you wouldn’t have been sitting there too long anyway…knowing you. Your attitude and zest for life are partly why you’re so amazing at age 85!

9. Susan says:

Hi Jeanette~ this was wonderful! YES!! I definitely want to see more videos.

Thank you so much~ Happy Holidays!

Hugs,
    Susan

Hi Susan, I’m thrilled to see you here on my blog! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm about the video. That is very encouraging to hear. I know you’re taking really good care of yourself, and I’m looking forward to having you back in class in the new year. We’ve all missed you. Happy 2011!

10. Lorri says:

That was a GREAT break from sitting and going thru my e-mail. Thanks Jeanette!!

11. Margie says:

Did it. Loved it!

12. Marilyn says:

Firstly, I LOVED having the video to exercise at home!!!!

Secondly, all those leg bending back exercises almost killed me!! Will I ever walk again–the muscles in the back of thighs say ‘no’ –haha! Really, you have never asked us to do that many consecutively! I guess you weren’t counting….. and couldn’t see the pained expression on my face. πŸ™‚

Thirdly, please continue with the videos in the newsletter!!! My husband said, ‘I can see why you like her so much.” Keep up the good work!! See you tomorrow. Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, Thanks so much for responding so quickly! I laughed right out loud when I read your note. I love your sense of humor! I guess it gives your hamstrings something to work up to. πŸ™‚ Remember you can start marching in place if it feels like it’s too much, while you’re building up to it. Or you could switch to knee lifts sooner, if needed. In class, I do a lot more variety of moves for sure. For this video though, my intention was to keep it simple, to help with the mastery of the coordination. Perhaps in the next video, I’ll give more options. I’m so excited to know that you followed along at home. You’ve made my night!

“He that takes medicine and neglects diet, wastes the skill of the physician.” ~ Chinese Proverb

"I feel Jeanette's classes have helped me to heal, and to stay healthy. I am amazed that I have lowered my glucose level. Her guided relaxation at the end is fantastic--a retreat unlike any other!"

--Karen Nouchi, 60, San Rafael, CA