More Secrets To Longterm Exercise Motivation

October 13, 2010 |

Most people know that exercise is good for their health. After all, there are a multitude of reasons why we should be exercising, such as lowering the risk for and managing serious chronic conditions, attaining/maintaining a healthy weight, building muscle and bone strength and decreasing stress, to name a few. However, even with so many compelling reasons to exercise many people just can’t get themselves to do it on a regular basis.

There are many reasons why we might feel unmotivated to exercise. Maybe we had a negative experience in the past, or we feel intimidated by others who are in better shape then we are, or we’ve convinced ourselves that it’s just too hard to do. If you are currently leading a sedentary lifestyle,  the following words of wisdom may be just the boost you need. Even those of us who exercise regularly can benefit from these instrumental guidelines..

Valuable Life Practices

• Exercise for yourself, not to please someone else. Being healthy, feeling capable and enjoying your life are more important than looking or performing a certain way to gain acceptance from others.

• Be honest about where you are and set realistic goals. If you  haven’t exercised in a long time then start out with just 5 minutes and increase your time gradually.

• Don’t compare yourself to others. You are uniquely you, and you don’t have to be someone you’re not. We’ve all had different life experiences and we each have strengths and weaknesses. Stay focused on your own personal goals and honor your own timing and process.

• Don’t give up on yourself if you miss a workout or two. We’re human and some setbacks are inevitable. Give yourself some breathing room for dealing with the various dynamics of life. Just pick yourself up and get back on track as soon as you’re feeling better again.

• Make your workout as convenient as possible. Sign up for programs that are close to where you live. When you don’t have much time, then do a short workout at home. For example, consider taking a walk around your block, dancing to lively music in your living room or exercising to a segment of your favorite workout dvd.

• Do activities that you enjoy. Keep it fun and varied, so you don’t get bored. If you like to socialize, join a team sport or a group fitness class.

• Surround yourself with positive support and encouragement. Train with a knowledgeable coach, trainer or teacher who helps you to safely manage your workout and with whom you feel comfortable.

• When you’re resisting doing your usual program, consider splitting it up into 2 or 3 shorter segments to make it easier on yourself. For example, instead of doing one hour all at once, try doing three 20-minute sessions spread throughout the day. Research has shown that this can be just as beneficial!

• Acknowledge your progress along the way…every little bit. Consider keeping a fitness log to chart any improvements you notice, such as improved endurance or better flexibility.

• Reward yourself for your positive efforts with nurturing gifts or experiences that help you feel genuinely good now and later, such as a spa treatment, a fun trip or a movie. Also, practice experiencing your workout as a reward itself! If your exercise program doesn’t feel good to you, then either change your approach or find something else to do.

I’m Interested to Hear from You

Do you have a helpful motivation tip to share with others?  Whether you attend a class or takes walks around your neighborhood block, what rewards are you receiving from exercising? It would be awesome if you passed on your comments below so we could all benefit from them. Also, if you’re currently feeling stuck and are unmotivated to exercise, let us know what is keeping you from it. One thing for sure, I know you’re not alone. There are many others out there who feel the same way.

Comments

5 Responses to “More Secrets To Longterm Exercise Motivation”

1. Anonymous says:

Thank you for providing this useful knowledge. Your website is great! I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. This site is one of my new favs. I like this info presented and it has given me some sort of inspiration to succeed for some reason, so thank you.

2. Lavone Bacino says:

Thanks a lot for this information. Keep up the good work. I will be returning soon.

3. Lynelle says:

Hi Jeanette, You hit the nail on the head approaching this subject matter. I have been in and out of the exercise frame of mind over the years, but scratch my head as to why I ever leave. Life has a habit of getting in the way, or at least, I let it. Your work as reflected in your website shines as a beacon of what is possible as we all age gracefully. Thanks for serving as a loving, inspiring, compassionate role model for us all! Having hit menopause head on, I am re-learning all over again what I need to do to feel good as I continue to move forward. Recently, I made a choice to rejoin the active in 2 exercise classes. I can attest to the fact that it is WELL WORTH the initial hesitation, and body readjustment phase. Push through it–you will be very glad you did. Thanks for all you do 🙂 Lynelle

Hello Lynelle. Thank you so much for your uplifting comment. It is very gratifying to hear that you have become physically active again. Congratulations! I’m sure that your words of encouragement will be helpful to anyone out there who may be experiencing inertia regarding exercise. Life is a winding road for sure. I take comfort in knowing that wherever we may be, we can choose to let go of the past and move forward. You are a shining example of this! I wish you radiant health and happiness. Keep us posted!

• Claresta says:

Boy can I relate to this…though I’m still in that inertia phase that Jeanette mentioned. I used to exercise regularly so I know I’m going to feel better when I get over the hump. I like what’s been said in this post about only exercising for 5 minutes at first. I think that I can get myself to do that much at least. I guess I’ve procrastinated because I’ve been thinking that I have to do at least 30 minutes for it to make any difference. I really appreciate the tips given. I’m going to print them for reference. Thanks for the encouragemet Jeanette and Lynelle.

“Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.” ~ Garson Kanin

"I need and love Jeanette Logan's classes! They help me immensely, physically and emotionally. The benefits are endless such as relief of pain and assistance with my mood and mobility. She is the best and very active!"

--Camille Scontrino, 83, San Rafael